Tomorrow will be our 3 week marker of being in-country. I can't believe how fast the time is going! Today is Malawi's 47th Independence Day so we have a holiday! The Human Rights Flood San Diego team arrived on Saturday. Therefore, instead of taking my rest day on Monday I decided to go to the Malawi Human Rights Resource Centre and take my rest day today. Although it was really informative and I gained a lot from attending the meeting today took forever to come!
Last night was so much fun! A couple who are from Costa Mesa but currently live here in Malawi had a birthday party for all those whose birthdays are in July. There were four of us birthday peoples. We ate lots of pizza and then had birthday cake and ice cream. It was SOOOO good!! I ate more candy and sugar yesterday than I have for more than a month. The Riesens that were sent from my mom with the Human Rights team are definitely gone too. We played Twister, "danced off" to Christian Hip-Hop music, and reminisced about Keith Greene. There was also time for us birthday peoples to be affirmed by the rest of the crowd. The first thing I heard was, "TALL!" I also heard, "responsible young leader," "laughter," "funny," "y misala," "crazy," and "beautiful." At the end of our time we each shared a moment where we God wow'ed us. It was really a sweet time.
In the last week we have moved houses. The seven of us are now living in a 4 bedroom 2 bath house a couple doors up from where we were living. We're just a big 7 person family and color doesn't matter whatsoever. We are forced to trust each other and love each other faster than we've had to trust and love before. When someone is missing it really affects the whole team. We miss each other quickly. I am cherishing the moments we are sharing and the laughs we are having because it won't last forever. I am so blessed to be part of this family.
The new house is closer to the Flood offices which is nice because a lot goes on there. We also have 3 dogs that we (mostly Cameron) are caring for. Terra the Great Dane that was living at our first house has followed us to the new house. We can't get rid of her. Lol
The Holy Spirit is showing me just how many things are gifts from above. "Every good and perfect gift is a gift from above." Simple things like receiving a piece of gum from Annie, or a whole pack of gum from my mom and sister via Rachel on the Human Rights team mean SO much and bring me so MUCH joy!!! The moment that cobalt mint or spearmint start crackling in mouth is seriously a reminder of God's love lol! Today, the simplicity of the only garbage truck in Malawi coming by the house to pick up our trash was a true blessing!
This Friday we will head to Kudoku village and we will stay the night there. I am looking forward to all that means: sleeping in the dust, peeing in cockroach infested holes, eating mysterious foods, suscepting myself to disease, receiving the best hospitality from African woman, playing with the happiest kids on earth, blowing black boogers out of my nose, and possibly praying for the 22 year old witch doctor AGAIN = Experiencing life to the full for the glory of God, so I can continue to see, hear, smell, feel like He watches, listens, breathes, and loves.
wow! I will pray for you and your trip to Kudoku village. Trust and believe in Him and may He work through you to carry out His will :)
ReplyDelete